An inflammation in the joints is termed as arthritis and when there is a wear and tear in the arthritis then it is termed as osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis and it is deeply related with the cartilage breakdown in the joints, this can affect any joint in the body.
The most commonly affected parts of the body are knees, hips and spine, however it may also affect neck, thumb, fingers and large toe. Also termed as OA, osteoarthritis makes the cartilage in the joints ovary stiff; this means there is a loss in the elasticity which makes the joints more susceptible to damage.
As a result, there is considerable wear and tear in the cartilage which results in the loss in its shock absorbing capacity. Moreover, the bones rub against each other resulting in more pain and considerable hindrance in the movement; this is the main cause of osteoarthritis pain.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Pain in joint and soreness mostly during movement
- Pain usually occurs after over use and after extended period of inactivity
- Bone enlargement in the end or middle joints of the fingers. This type of enlargement may or may not lead to osteoarthritis pain.
Causes of osteoarthritis
- Obesity is the main cause of osteoarthritis, especially in regions such as hips, knees and back. Weight loss can reduce the progression of OA.
- Injury caused as a result of work related activity or sports tremendously increase osteoarthritis pain. People with severe back pain has an increased chance of developing osteoarthritis in the spine.
- Heredity problem also plays a significant role in developing the chances of osteoarthritis. There are people who are born with joint abnormality and they are more prone in developing osteoarthritis especially in the spine region.
- Joint over use also increases the chances of developing OA. People who are in a job where they need to bend have more chances of developing OA.
- There are medical conditions which increases the chances of developing OA, this may include iron overload, excess growth hormone etc.
Cymbalta- The antidepressant aids in alleviating osteoarthritis discomfort
Antidepressant such as Cymbalta play a very crucial role in alleviating painful medical condition such as osteoarthritis. It has been seen that this drug is more effective than the usually prescribed drugs for example opioids and anti-inflammators; this is as per new research.
It has been said by Leslie Citrome, M.D., clinical professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, “It is not uncommon to treat osteoarthritis with a combination of drugs that work in different ways. Our review supports this approach and confirms that antidepressants are not just for depression and can play a key role in relieving this painful condition.”
The researchers observed carefully by exploring the effect of Cymbalta individually and also in combination with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This also includes a placebo-controlled clinical trial that includes FDA approval even for duloxetine for treatment of any chronic pain in association with osteoarthritis.
With the new research and finding it has been proved beyond doubt that certain medical condition can be treated by not the regular prescribed drugs, just like Cymbalta for osteoarthritis. It is suggested that one must take the advice of a qualified doctor before taking any such drug.